THREE TO SIX MONTHS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- This is a good moment to create an inventory of your items. Decide which you are going to sell, which you’re going to store, and which ones you’re taking with you.
- Start organising your paperwork. Creating a folder that will contain all your receipts, phone numbers, letters, etc. is a good idea. You can also resort to online sources, such as cloud storage, to easily store all your digital data.
- If you have pets, make sure you take care of their transportation. Make sure your cage or transporter is of the adequate size and can be picked up at an appropriate time.
TWO MONTHS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Time to set a moving date and plan! Contact us to flesh out the details.
- Pick up your packing materials.
- Contact the schools – get all the necessary documentation from your child’s current school and give them the address of the new school so that any records can be passed without incident.
- Contact your doctors – de-register from your current doctor’s office and notify your new doctor as soon as you can
- Cancel all your local memberships (gyms, libraries, etc.)
ONE MONTH BEFORE THE MOVE
- Confirm all your child and pet-related arrangements for moving day.
- Double-check your own travel arrangements for moving day.
- Dispose of all unwanted belonging.
- Start emptying your freezer.
- It’s time to take care of all the utilities at your new home. Research telephone, Internet, television and other utility providers and get your new home connected.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
Now is the time to contact all your service and utility providers to arrange the final accounts and meter readings:
- TV/telecoms/etc. provider
- Electricity / Gas/oil / Water
- Local Council taxes / Credic cards/store cards TV licence
- Don’t forget to notify all your hire/purchase/lease/standing orders and loans companies
- Dentists /Opticians / Contact your insurance company to amend your coverage
- National Insurance Child Benefit / Post offices – redirect your mail
- Make sure all your friends, relatives, organisations and other entities that you want to keep in touch with are informed of your change of address.
ONE DAY BEFORE THE MOVE
- You’re almost there! Pack all your remaining things:
- Your fridge and freezer should be empty by now – make sure you defrost them!
- Curtains and blinds
- Make a little batch of essentials that you have to keep at hand, such as passports, tickets, coats, snacks, etc.
- Make another small package of valuables (jewellery, watches, etc.) and keep it with the essentials.
- Take special care to ensure that your fragile items are packed in a safe and secure manner
IT’S MOVING DAY!
The time has come!
- Confirm all your service metre readings and keep a spare copy just in case.
- Unplug the water, gas and power supplies (if necessary).
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Drop off your keys at your estate agent’s.
And there you go! This handy list covers everything you need to take care of in the time leading up to your move. Make sure to follow all the points in order and in the right time, and you should have no problem having everything in control. With our list, you can make this landmark time of your life less stressful.